Hello Fort Hood: our adventure to our first (ish)duty station

I’m a little late in writing this, so if you follow me on social media you probably already know.  But for the record, we got orders to Fort Hood!

Charlie knew about a week before swearing in that he was probably going to Fort Hood, but we all know how probably goes in the Army right?  In this case it really did end up staying the same…which was a good thing because his report date was for the same day he received his orders!  That meant getting up super bright and early, going to MEPS in Dallas for him to swear in and get his orders, then driving back home to split up into two separate cars, then driving down to Fort Hood to start inprocessing.  Basically we lived in the car for the day!

The silver lining was that we were able to go to housing that day and they just so happened to have a house available the following day! The house we thought we would be getting (which was supposed to be the first available) wasn’t going to be empty for another two weeks.  So the fact that someone turned a house down and we were able to look at it so quickly was just amazing.  We set up an appointment to see the house at 9 o’clock the following morning, got Charlie situated, then little dude and I headed home.  Since we lived relatively close to Fort Hood, there was no point trying to get into temporary lodging with two pets, two adults, and a baby.  Luckily Charlie was able to stay in the inprocessing barracks and I just commuted back and forth a few times.  While it wasn’t exactly easy, it made the most sense financially and it also kept Oliver and our pets in familiar territory for a while.  Plus I got to sleep in my own bed which is always a perk!

The new morning, of course, we got to get up bright and early again to head back to Fort Hood…it’s a two hour drive for those interested in tallying up how much driving I did during this process haha.  Charlie had to be in other meetings so I toured the house solo.  While it wasn’t somewhere I would want to live forever necessarily, it met our needs and even had some extra perks (like a bonus room!) that we hadn’t expected.  I told the housing agent we would take it, then Oliver and I just had to hang out and kill time until Charlie was available to sign the paperwork that afternoon.  We got our keys and had our very own home sweet temporary home!   After walking through the house again with Charlie and dropping off some necessities, like a shower curtain, Oliver and I headed back home.  Again.

Luckily we didn’t have to make the drive again for a while.  Can I get an amen hallelujah? Because Oliver was 110% over it and I wasn’t far behind him.  Thursday morning he cried and yelled for about an hour of the drive.  Between that and traffic my nerves were about shot and I was very grateful to be staying home for a while!

We were still hoping we would be able to have movers come pack up and transport our belongings so I was still working my way through the house and downsizing our belongings so it would be easier to unpack.  That and, to be honest, we spent most of Friday recuperating from our back and forth journeys!

Charlie came home for the weekend to help out, and to pick up the cat.  We, luckily, had the brilliant idea to actually call our landlords for the house we had been renting and found out that we would not have to pay any more rent if we were out of the house by the 1st (one week away) but if we were there past the 1st we would be responsible for the entire month’s rent.  Since we had already given our thirty days notice we had assumed it would be pro-rated rent like it was when we moved in…but our landlords were not exactly the most professional and I think they were out to make a buck any way they could.  We double checked with transportation and were told there was absolutely no way they would be able to get movers to us before the first of the month, so we were suddenly looking at a DITY move.  With an 11 month old. And also with Charlie already at Fort Hood. Fun, right?

I will get into the DITY move process more in another post coming soon. It pretty much deserves it’s own novel I think haha.

Despite all the craziness, I have to say that we were very fortunate.  When we found out Charlie was going to be able to go back to active duty, we were hoping to get out of Texas.  it is a fun state with a lot of great things, but we were ready for a change of scenery and a new adventure.  Moving two hours down the road didn’t really fit the bill.  So when we got orders to Fort Hood I was initially a little disappointed.  But every little thing seemed to find a way of falling into place and it actually started to feel like this could be a good thing.

I got to keep my job.

We are still near family.

I got to sleep in my own bed every night of the move.

We got a house in an incredibly short amount of time.

Overall I have to admit that it feels like this is going to be a huge blessing!

I’ll be back soon with a post about our actual move, but for now I would love to hear about your wildest move!

Leave a Reply